AT&T Retail Store Action Toolkit
What: Receipt and letter delivery to your local AT&T store
When: June 2022
How: Keep reading!
Abortion access is in a state of emergency: The Supreme Court is set to gut Roe v. Wade, and over 100 new abortion restrictions were passed into law in the past year alone. AT&T is one of the largest corporate supporters of the extremist anti-abortion movement. The #ReproReceipts data compiled by UltraViolet show that since 2020, AT&T gave over $5 million to anti-abortion politicians across the country, including hundreds of thousands of dollars to the primary sponsors of Texas S.B.8 and to the politicians behind the Mississippi 15-week abortion ban currently before the Supreme Court. A leaked draft opinion from the court indicates the outcome of the latter will end legal abortion for millions of Americans.
AT&T is already feeling the heat from investors for its political giving. Just recently, 44% of AT&T shareholders supported a proposal that would have pushed the company to publish a report analyzing its political and electioneering expenditures and its stated values and policies.
By continuing to raise the alarm about AT&T’s political agenda, we can show company leadership that consumers are watching and are not happy AT&T is funding extremists that are taking away basic rights.
Already, hundreds of thousands of people have spoken out about AT&T’s anti-abortion political giving. We’ve blasted the company with phone calls, petition signatures, and social media storms. Now, we’re escalating the fight for abortion freedom to AT&T’s doorsteps across the country. If we bring our message to AT&T store locations and speak with local retail workers, then AT&T executive leadership will see that our movement is only growing stronger and that consumer trust is on the line. Together, we’ll force AT&T to pledge to stop giving to anti-abortion politicians.
On June 6, we’re kicking off a week of action. Throughout the week, activists like you will deliver our message to retail stores across the country to drum up the pressure and media hits. In this toolkit, you’ll find everything you need to join the movement.
- If you are asked to leave the store, then leave the store immediately.
- You can fly solo for a small action like this, but actions are always more fun and effective when you can get a friend or a group of friends to join you.
- WEAR A MASK! Please be masked up when entering the store, both for your safety and the safety of the workers–even if you are vaccinated/boosted.
- If you have friends join you, make sure you designate one person to take photos and be responsible for submitting them afterwards.
- Be polite and kind to the retail workers you meet–they are not the ones we are targeting. In fact, they are also harmed by AT&T’s business practices, and we are on the same side. The wealthy executives at AT&T are the culprits behind AT&T’s anti-abortion funding. This is a great chance to build relationships with local AT&T workers to join our movement!
Sample Social Media Posts
We’ve had it with AT&T’s PR stunts. @UltraViolet is demanding @ATT actually follow through and divest from anti-abortion politicians and the abortion bans they support! https://weareuv.us/attstop
The #ReproReceipts from @UltraViolet show that @ATT is funding the anti-abortion politicians who are working to end access to safe and legal abortion. Enough is enough! https://weareuv.us/attstop
We have the #ReproReceipts. @ATT – you can’t say you support women but give to politicians trying to dismantle our rights! Join the campaign: https://weareuv.us/attstop
The #ReproReceipts compiled by @UltraViolet show that @ATT is one of the major corporate funders 💰💰💰 of the abortion bans moving across the country. Join me in holding AT&T’s feet to the fire for funding abortion bans. Take action now: https://weareuv.us/attstop
.@ATT we have a little message for you: stop funding anti-abortion extremists and start putting your money with politicians who know that #AbortionIsFreedom #ReproReceipts! https://weareuv.us/attstopUltraViolet_ AT&T letter