As the U.S. Supreme Court decides in 2016 whether individual states may essentially outlaw abortion (Whole Woman’s Health v. Hellerstedt), Trapped follows clinic workers and lawyers who are on the front lines of the battle to keep abortion safe and legal for millions.
By hosting a movie screening of Trapped, you are part of inspiring thousands of people to action. And it’s easy. Read over these tips, and email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have comments or questions.
If you haven’t yet, add your event to the map.
Before your event:
- Invite your friends and create a Facebook event to get the word out.
- Sign up for the host call happening on Wednesday, April 27 at 5pm PT/6pm MT/7pm CT/8pm ET.
- Make sure your copy of the DVD works. If you did NOT get the DVD or it’s not working, the streaming link will be available shortly (check back here for the link!).
- If your event is public, check your host page regularly to see UltraViolet members who have signed up to attend. You can also email them through your host page. Note: You need a password to log in–this information is in the email you received when you signed up. If you need support, email us at email@example.com
- Call your guests and consider asking them to help with food, recruitment, or leading a group discussion.
During your event:
- Welcome your guests, make sure everyone signed in, and do introductions.
- Watch the film.
- Join the conversation happening on Twitter by using the hashtag #wewontgoback and/or #stopthesham and including @UltraViolet
- Take a photo of your guests with the banner provided in your host package. You may want to step outside to get the best photo. Then post the photo on your social networks and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Make time after the viewing to discuss what you saw and how you can take action.
After your event:
- This film is intense. After your guests leave, you may want to debrief the experience with someone you know and trust.
- Send photos, comments, or feedback to email@example.com
- Add attendees to the event online on your host guide so we can keep them in the loop (make sure you have attendees’ permission to add them).
Resources about the issue:
- Not Just Texas: TRAP Laws affect women in big progressive cities too, Slate
- 6 Women on How the TRAP Law Changed Their Life, ELLE
- The Supreme Court’s massive abortion case: Everything you need to know about Whole Women’s Health vs Hellerstedt, Salon
- Why I Provide Abortions, Willie J. Parker, The New York Times
- Reports from the Center for Reproductive Rights, including a summary of state legislation on the issues and model bills to counter clinic shutdown laws, among others.
- Guttmacher Institute State Policies in Brief (March 2016)
- Guttmacher Institute “Evidence You Can Use” (March 2016)